Our carrot cake recipe: a typically American dessert
You want to discover new flavors and vary your dishes to satisfy your family or your guests ? Then you'll need our recipe to make a typically American dessert: carrot cake.
The ingredients of the carrot cake
The carrot cake is a cake that comes straight from America and is one of the must-have meals in the United States. You will find many recipes on the web to make it, but very few people know the steps to follow to get the original version of this cake. Luckily for you, we were able to find this recipe to share with you.
So, to cook a real American carrot cake at home, you will first of all need several specific ingredients. You must also be careful to have the right proportions, depending on the quantity of dessert you want to make. This is a must for a successful carrot cake recipe and a delicious cake with a perfect texture and a simply exquisite flavor.
So for a carrot cake meant for 8 people, here are the ingredients you will need:
- 250 g of sugar
- 20 g of butter
- 1 level teaspoon of nutmeg
- 300 g of grated carrots
- 2 level teaspoons of cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 250 g of fluid flour
- 2 teaspoons of liquid vanilla extract
- 120 g of crushed nuts
- 1 packet of baking powder.
Wheat flour can be replaced by gluten free flour to lighten your preparation. The butter can be replaced by vegetable oil, but this will give a different flavor to the cake. The fat will add texture to your pastry.
If you want to add frosting to your cake, the’the use of butter is essential. For this, you will need :
- 50 g butter
- 100 g of cheese
- 200 g of powdered sugar
You can also think of adding other ingredients to vary a little and create your own version of the carrot cake. However, before you get to that point, let's first discover the different steps to follow to cook this dessert.
How to prepare a carrot cake ?
The carrot cake recipe The original recipe is actually very simple to follow. So once you have all the ingredients in the right proportions, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- First, using an electric whisk, mix the 4 eggs and the sugar well
- Once the mixture is smooth, add nutmeg, vanilla extract, butter and cinnamon. Continue to mix with your electric whisk to avoid the formation of lumps in your preparation.
- Then turn off the whisk and add the flour and yeast to the mixture. Stir gently at first with the whisk turned off, to avoid messing up the kitchen with spilled dough.
- Turn on your electric whisk and gradually increase the power until you obtain a smooth and tender dough.
- The ingredients to add now are the grated carrots and the crushed nuts. Continue to mix the batter gently to ensure that it is well incorporated and that the mixture is well blended.
- The last step in this carrot cake recipe is to oil and lightly flour a baking pan and pour the mixture into it. Put it in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, at a temperature of 175°. At the end you can poke the cake to make sure it is cooked through before removing it from the oven.
If you follow each of these steps to the letter, the result will be simply divine and moist. You will only have to Cut your cake into slices before inviting your family or guests to taste it. You can serve it on its own or with whipped cream as is often done with pecan pie.
It all depends on your desires and preferences.
Where does the carrot cake come from?
There are several theories as to the real origin of the famous carrot cake we have just presented to you. Some people say it's from the US, but it's actually a Swiss recipe. Indeed, since the Middle Ages, this cake has been a very popular dessert in Northern Switzerland.
Several centuries later, it was adopted by the Americans and the English, who made a few modifications. So today, for most people, the carrot cake recipe is a specialty of the USA.
Anyway, the real origin of this dessert doesn't matter nowadays, as it has been adopted by many cultures. Each of them thought it would be good to modify or add some ingredients to make it better. You can do the same and create your own recipe instead of following the original American version.
The carrot cake recipe is very easy to make and requires little time and effort. It is also easy to customize, as you just need to add toppings such as sweets or whipped cream to get an even more original dessert. So don't hesitate to make it your own and treat yourself and all your loved ones.